Thursday, August 12, 2004

Politics, War and Dissent

This morning I chatted with a man about John Kerry and the Viet Nam Vets Against the War. He was a student while I was on the staff at the University of Cincinnati but he had no memory about the riots, the war or all the protests.

When I explained how my life had been threatened by the radical students and that we received warnings weekly from the FBI about threats of bombing and physical attacks in the dorms he was unimpressed and skeptical.

I remember all too well the night I discovered that the automatic alarm system had been deliberately broken into and turned off in my 14 story residence hall putting 600 students and my family in danger.

We were not amused when the Weather Underground and Students for a Democratic Society called us pigs who deserved to die.

We were not laughing when Jane Fonda at the VVAW called for alll of us to become Communists and cause a violent revolution against the United States. (John Kerry was the head of the VVAW)

I was shocked when Kerry slimed all the American soldiers with charges of war crimes and admitted that he was a war criminal.

During this time I was a proud liberal Democrat who hated Nixon and distrusted all Republicans.
However, when I discovered that many of the anti war stories were lies and these "peaceniks" were using violent attacks to get their way, I began to question my commitment to the left wing.

Next week I will visit Russia for the twelfth time and try to bring love, truth and healing to the people, churches and businesses that were victims of the Communists.

Two years ago Karen and I visited Cambodia. This is a place where Communists unleashed by our failures in Viet Nam to kill millions of innocent people.

I cannot forget how the peaceniks betrayed our nation. Nor can I forget how some of them threatened my life in the "name" of peace. After Joyce Reichman, one of their leaders, came to Christ she confessed that they had planned to kidnap me and beat me senseless because I was a pig who turned her in to the cops. I was saved only by God's miraculous intervention.

Many of these folks were sincerely for peace and I bless them.

However, now we know from recently opened USSR files that some were stooges for the KGB.




No comments: