Monday, January 24, 2005

Christian Family Systems

I love to teach a class about family systems. I find that much of what is written and taught in America is a shallow, narrow western view of family life that bears little resemblance to the biblical view.

Our view is flat and dull for it focuses on only the martial couple and their kids. Such an approach leaves out much of the richness of the scriptural approach and makes it almost impossible to understand what the Bible teaches about families.

I am often asked to teach a class about marriage from Ephesians 5 and explain what it means for a woman to submit to her husband. I suppose that assignment is not impossible but it is very difficult. T%he framework for marriage is laid in Genesis 1, 2 and 3. One must understand the creation ordinances or Ephesians 5 means little.

I am currently teaching about the biblical family at a local church and we are having a blast. It is so much fun and causing so much insight and discussion I want to do the same for pastors and leaders. Write and let me know what morning would be best for pastoral couples to meet for two hours each week and learn how to better understand your own family as well as the family of God.

A Christian leader cannot understand or appreciate the church family and how to lead without first digging into his own family of origin. It will empower you to change your life and make leadership much easier.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gary -- Russell Smith here. Great blog. I'm really interested in the family systems teaching, though I'm a little out of commission in terms of meeting in the morning. Tell me more about your class -- how many sessions -- how long does the class last -- I have a great venue in mind at Covenant-First.

Russ