Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Rick Warren on Leaders' Failures

Over the years, I have observed at least 14 different characteristics that seem to be the tipping points for these leaders in their decision to do wrong. All of us have these basic tendencies;
however some develop them to a point where they go over the edge.

  • Ask these questions as you build a protective fence around your life

  • Do I feel a sense of entitlement? – "I deserve this because of who I am or what I do."

  • Am I a gifted entrepreneur, but my life is out of balance?

  • Do I have the ability to compartmentalize my moral choices? Can I do something wrong and then mentally put it aside while I do something right?

  • Do I expect my employees and peers to keep quiet when I do questionable things?

  • Am I a "high risk" man who loves the adrenaline rush of danger or compromise?

  • Am I a magnet for women? Do they love my power, money, influence, and personality?
    Is my integrity in check?

  • Am I surrounded with "yes men" with very little accountability?

  • Do I compromise my conscience?

  • Who is my mentor? Who am I a mentor to?

  • Do I play by my own rules? Do I have an ethical code?

  • Do I handle stress in a healthy way?

  • What do I do with my money? Integrity includes both my physical and my financial self.

  • Are my moods under control?

  • Have I found a balance with money, sex, and power?

  • Remember that men who are stronger than you and me have made very bad decisions. Men who are weaker have made good decisions. The gift of choice can be the greatest blessing you have, and it can be the choice that severely damages you.
    But remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it. (1 Cor. 10:13 NLT)

  • Adapted from Wayde Goodall's book Why Great Men Fall

This is why I am so involved with key leaders. Having a mentor/coach offer counsel, compassion and critical insights can prevent a huge fall.

No comments: