Thursday, May 04, 2006

Crash

I watched the movie Crash on DVD this week. It is powerful, violent, racially shocking, surprising, disturbing and very revealing. I think every Christian leader needs to watch it and think about its implications.

The people in Crash were fragile, defensive, reactive to the slightest slight, angry, racially divided and away from God. They blamed others, jumped to conclusions, refused to take personal responsibility fot their own sins and accused others of being to blame.

Some were heroes, some were crooks, some were courageous some were scared, no one was pure. All were weak and all were strong. All were human.

Many years ago the book Lord of the Flies showed what would happen if a group of kids were lost on a deserted island. They became hardened, selfish, punitive and heroic, courageous, bitter, defensive, gracious and merciful. All at the same time.

Crash is the modern version of that book. It shows the human condition without Christ, the love of God and the redemption of a caring community.

Anyone associated with ministry will recognize themselves and others in this film. I could see my sins, fears, prejudices and anger in the characters. I could also see my hopes and faith.


Watch it if you have the courage.

I am human and I need God's constant attention to forgive, strengthen and make me better.

Gary Sweeten

No comments: