Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Have A Heart

All good gifts come down from the Father above.

It is common to hear people complaining about the costs of medicine and medical treatment. The politicians respond to such complaints, of course, and try to get our votes by offering us ways to get high quality treatment at low quality prices.

I do not especially blame people for complaining or politicians for pandering to us when we do complain. However, over the past few years I have been blessed by very high quality care at very inexpensive prices. I had the services of highly qualified doctors, nurses and technicians with unbelievable medicines and Star Trek-like machines.

They saved my life and gave me many more years of good living despite a damaged heart and severely clogged arteries. Thank God for His gifts from above. On Monday, June 14 I received the blessings of a talented physician, Dean Kereiakes, and his team of highly trained staff.

The nuclear test of a month ago showed that I had a problem. Despite receiving a stent five years ago the scan revealed an aberration so only an angiogram could show exactly where it was and give Dr K a chance to roto-rooter it out and put another stent in my chest.

A few minutes after pushing the probe through my thigh into the heart he said with glee, "Great! It was a false alarm. This is good news."

Maybe it was all the prayers I got or maybe it was a false alarm but I an thankful to the Lord that I do not need another stent.

The life-saving service of Dr K and The Linder Heart Center at The Christ Hospital deserve every penny they get from me and my insurance. Because of them I will get to play with Lily and Jacob for many years to come. Thanks be to God for many more trips to Asia, Russia and maybe a golf trip to Scotland.

Frankly, the cost of health insurance is very reasonable when we consider what we get for the price. I got many more years of life and it is hard to put a price on that.

No comments: