Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Good and Bad Prayers

In a couple of postings I have asked people to nominate bad prayers. It was really a way of saying I want to nominate my favorite bad prayer. "But," you ask, "is it possible to pray a bad prayer?" It is, if we take the scripture as it clearly speaks to us.

Ecclesiastes 5

1 Guard your steps when you go to the house of God. Go near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools, who do not know that they do wrong.

2 Do not be quick with your mouth,
do not be hasty in your heart
to utter anything before God.
God is in heaven
and you are on earth,
so let your words be few.

So, let us be careful with what we say in a prayer.

Here is my nomination for one of the worst prayers we can teach.

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my sould to keep
If I should die before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why would anyone teach such a fear mongering prayer to their children? The prayer was composed during the Black Plagues of Europe when about one third of the population died, many in their sleep.However, it is very inappropriate today.

A New Prayer For Sleeping

Now I lay me down to sleep
I thank the Lord my soul to keep.

No fear of night, He will provide-
His angels near, my sleeping side.

At morning's dawn, I will awake,
To live again for Jesus' sake.

He gives me strength, the whole night rest,
Enough each day to give my best.
(C) Gary Sweeten

I strongly suggest you moms and dads, greandmas and grandpas teach the new one to your loved ones. I think you will find it much more comforting.

No comments: