Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Authentic to the Core

I received a helpful comment from a friend about the post on Genuineness. He sent me another blog about being Authentic and I fully agree with it. During church not long ago I had an insight about coveting. Scriptural admonitions are not God's way of being a kill joy but His attempt to warn us about dangerous practices.

When Moses led the children of Israel out of bondage in Egypt God told him to pay attention and follow the rules so they would not get any of the diseases that victimized their slave masters. God's desire then and now was to help His people find an abundant life.

So why tell us not to covet? What is the harm? Here is my newest idea about that. When I covet my neighbor's house, car, job or wife I cease to give thanks to God for what I have. I cease to enjoy the life in the moment and exchange real, genuine, authentic life for a fantasy that lies in never-land.

Several years ago Dr. Wm Wilson, a well-known psychiatrist at Duke, studied depressed Christians and discovered that they prayed differently than those who were not depressed. The difference? Few if any prayers of forgiveness, gratitude and thanksgiving. The attitude of gratitude will result in joy while coveting ends in disappointment, bitterness, anxiety and depression for covetousness is never satisfied with today.

 
                               I AM                         
 
I was regretting the past and fearing the future.
Suddenly my Lord was speaking:"My name is I am
"He paused waited. He continued,
"When you live in the pasted its mistakes and regrets, it is hard.
I am not there.
My name is not I WAS. 
When you live in the future,with its problems and fears,it is hard.
I am not there.
My name is not I WILL BE.  
When you live in this nominated is not hard. I am here,My name I AM." 
Helen Mallicoat
 
Being Real, Authentic and Genuine means that we are aware of our inner life and allow God's Spirit to bring self-control. One way to grow in the fruit of the Spirit is to ask ourselves if we are really aware of what we are thinking, feeling and envisioning. How is it possible to be authentic if we have no understanding about the desires of the soul? Study the word of God and discover the desires of His heart as well as the content of your own soul. 
 
Hebrews 4:12For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-­edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
 
 
 
 

No comments: