Sunday, July 18, 2004

Why Asia?
 
Gary Sweeten
 
I just returned from another trip to Singapore and that makes bout 30 times I have traveled there for teaching, preaching, consulting, etc. Rick Kalal was my traveling partner this trip and he noted that 30 trips are equal to two whole months in jumbo jets. Wow! That is a lot of sitting in tight little seats in the cattle cars of Northwest Airlines.
 
Why would anyone do such a thing? Why would I keep traveling to Asia and face all the hassles and security examinations, sleepless nights and jet lag? Money? Fame? Power? Book sales? Well, none of those things have happened yet so it must be something else.
 
I once told a friend that I like to be where the Lord is moving and acting. If the Apostle Paul came to New York I would want to be there. Well, the Holy Spirit is regularly visiting Asia and Singapore is the jumping off place for much of the work He is doing.
 
God spoke to me many years ago and said I would be doing a lot of ministry with families in Asia and to go when the call came. I try to do what God tells me to do so I answered the call when it came in 1995. After my heart attack I decided that I could slow down but the Lord thought differently so I am still going strong.
 
Way back in 1975 God told me He would be my travel agent if I would listen to His direction and go where He sent with no questions asked. I said, "OK, I'll go where You send me." Since then, I have traveled all over the world on the Lord's business. He has proven to be a wonderful international travel agent taking me to Israel, Germany, Norway, Egypt, Russia, Denmark, Taiwan, Sweden, Hong Kong, Thailand, England, Singapore, Cambodia, etc.
 
So, I go to Singapore several times each year because God told me that He anted me to help Asian families. This trip I developed a curriculum for children for Girls' Brigade that teaches them how to be like Tigger and bounce back from adversity instead of Eyore who fall into depression and anxiety every time something goes wrong. GB is an international ministry that evangelizes girls and women  and then trains them to be leaders.
 
God is moving in Asia and bringing many people to Himself. The millions who are coming to faith need to be discipled and equipped for ministry and taught how to live as Christians. We are fulfilling a small part of that need.
 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 
The very best place to be is whereever God is.
  
  
  
 

No comments: