Sunday, January 01, 2006

Ask If We Can Pray

Several years ago when Karen and I were visiting Scooter and Carol Franks in New Mexico they introduced us to a novel and interesting way to minister to people. As the waitress came over to take our order Scooter said in a respectable manner, "We are going to ask God's blessing on us and the food in a minute. Are there any issues we can pray about for you?"

I thought that was a pretty neat idea so whenever I think of it and am led by the Spirit I follow their lead. The week before Christmas I was having a business lunch at Watson Brothers' Brewery in Blue Ash when I asked the waitress that question. She enthusiastically answered, "You sure can. Pray that his place does not close down and I lose my job. In fact all of us will lose our jobs. Ask God to grant our liquor license. We failed to pay the fee and the inspector came in and shut our bar down last week."

Then this young woman stood over our table and Jim and I asked God to show them favor with the tax people and grant them their liquor license again. As most of you know, I grew up in a virulently anti-drinking family of Baptists. So, I was shocked at the request for ti sounded so strange, but nevertheless I fervently asked God for a miracle and keep Watson 's open.

Warning! If you ask people how to pray be prepared for some surprises.

God Star Chili

Earlier this evening Karen and I stopped at Gold Star Chili to grab a bite after moving her mother Hazel Guriel from a nursing home to independent living. It was a good day but one that was quite tiring.

A very young woman took our order and before she left to fill it I asked the key question. "Is there anything we can pray about for you?" She was shocked but said excitedly, "Oh, thank you. Just pray for my family problems at home. Just my family problems."

Karen and I bowed our heads and asked God's richest blessings on young Kait and her family, especially the ones with the "problems". When she brought our food Kait told us with tears that "I go to church too and our youth pastor is always telling us to do these kinds of things. I just have chills all over because it is the first time I have ever seen anybody actually do it."

As I paid the bill she again thanked us profusely and was apparently more hopeful that God was at work in her family. As we drove away Karen remarked, "There is so much pain in the world. So much pain."

Thank God for His grace and our opportunity to offer it to the world one young girl waitress at a time. Thanks to Scooter and carol we learned a simple new way to bless hurting people.

No comments: