Sunday, January 15, 2006

Peace or Anxiety

Last post I mentioned that many famous people that many consider to be leaders are very anxious and Reactive to events. This includes almost all the famous radio and TV personalities and national figures who lead organizations that attack social and spiritual problems.

But we who follow the Prince of peace are supposed to have and live in peace not anxiety.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

Why is it that I see so few national leaders who have that which Jesus seemed to think was basic to knowing Him? I am not a Roman Catholic but it seems to me that several of their most famous leaders have been peaceful. One immediately thinks of Mother Teresa and Pope John-Paul, both of whom just passed away. (The RC's who read this will protest that there are plenty of Priests and Bishops who panicked when they discovered sin in their camp.)

A peaceful person is one who can enter into difficult situations with little support and still take a stand for what they believe. They are not overly worried about the press, friends or public opinion but speak up according to their own core values. Sometimes we caricature peaceful people as being weak but the opposite is true.

Mother Teresa was able to challenge leaders and make decisions even when they were unpopular. Her order bought a building in New York City to care for the poorest and sickest in the city bit they were stopped by bureaucrats who insisted they had to put in a very expensive elevator to take the religious workers up and down the floors.

Mother Teresa said that was ridiculous and her people were quite used to walking. The city rules had to be obeyed, of course, and she sold the building and left them to care for the poor. She would not be bullied. She was peaceful and knew what she believed and acted on her beliefs.
Jesus was a peaceful presence. He entered many difficult situations without getting uptight. He was not Reactive to the demands of Mary, Martha before raising Lazarus from the dead.

He refused to minister to the crowds who followed and demanded that He feed and heal them.

He acted out of His own ideas, values and goals. That is a Peaceful Presence.

In modern America an assertive leader is too often seen as a dictator, but that is wrong. We need leaders who will call a spade a spade and tell us their ideas and ideals.

Wishy washy politicians are not leaders but poll readers.

Think about Winston Churchill. He led with vigor, frankness and character. He said, I cannot lead to a vision of the future if my ear is always to the ground.

I wish I could say I am always a peaceful presence when the going gets tough. I wish I was "Cool Hand Luke" when the pressure is on; that I was unconcerned about what others think of me and how my performance is stacking up. I wish I could say I do not love accolades and hate criticism. I wish I could always take stands without worrying about people not liking me. But I am getting better.

So, I am not where I want to be but thank God I am better than I used to be.

No comments: