Thursday, January 05, 2006

Theodicy: Where is God When Life Falls Apart?

The tragic deaths of those miners in West Virginia brings all of us to consider our own mortality. At such times as these we all must face our eternal destiny and consider whether God exists or not. Agnostics and sceptics ask, "Where was God?" and believers ask "Where am I with God?"

Many years ago C. S. Lewis wrote a great book, God in the Dock. As an Englishman, C.S. Lewis used Dock to mean the court of justice where a crimninal goes to be charged for a crime. In past generations humans would place themselves in the dock and ask, "Am I guilty of sin and will I be judged by a holy God?" Modern humans are not very interested in looking at their own guilt but instead judge the God of whom they do not believe.

The tsunami in Asia, the hurricanes in the Gulf and the earthquakes in Pakistan were each met with questions about the presence of God when evil strikes. I think such a question indicates that people are much more interested in God during a crisis than at the height of a party.

It also indicates that modern humans are led by an unthinking belief that everyone should live forever or at least until they wish to die. We have become so wealth and so used to miracle medicines that we do not believe that accidents, natural disasters, sickness and death are normal. Unfortunately, each is an awful reality.

In the Barbara Walters' Special about Heaven she asked famous religionists what they believe about Heaven. Some controversy was stirred by Christians who stated that all who call on Jesus will be saved and go to Heaven. I found it amazing that no one seemed to realize that in the Hindu and Buddhist beliefs nobody ever gets to Heaven. Everyone is caught forever in the wheel of Reincarnation, the end of which is merging into universal energy.

When we all come to our certain end and ask the final questions it is important to know that God is deciding our future and our eternity. He does so with love, grace and mercy but we will meet Him face to face. Life nowadays is so great that Heaven seems to pale in comparison. But we are wrong to think that.

As a kid I resented the fact that the old folks loved to sing all the old songs about heaven. They would get teary eyed and mention how glad they were to think about a reunion with Pa and Ma and the loved ones who had passed before.

Today I am not so mystified by the old days and the songs of Zion. Then I was looking forward to a bright future. Now I am looking back at a wonderful life.

By and by, Lord, When the morning comes
When the saints of God are gathered home
I will tell the story how we've overcome
We will undrstand it better by and by

I used to think I had all the answers but back then I had not faced all the questions. Now I know what I do not know so I can sing with conviction: "I will understand it better by and by..."

No comments: