Saturday, September 18, 2004

I am Glad I could Help

This is a standard reply to those who thank us for a favor.

Harry: Thanks a lot for that hot meal you brought when my wife was sick.
Gary: You're welcome. I'm glad to help.

I grew up hearing this phrase and after answering God's call to travel internationally to strengthen the ministries of missionaries and pastors I really began to see what they meant. Churches in the United States are the wealthiest, strongest and most biblically literate on earth. Thankfully, we share our wealth with people and churches who need our support.

We could do more, much more. Only about 2 cents from every church dollar goes to minister to those outside the church leaving 98 cents for local salaries, buildings and programs. I thing at least 10% would be the biblical model and hope my readers will move in that direction.

I just returned from my twelfth trip to Russia and the leaders are truly grateful for what I bring to them. We send a monthly support check to Dr. Galina to support her and the Lifeways Russia Ministry but that is not enough. I suggested that since it is very costly for us to travel to Russia and we could save money by staying home and sending it over. Besides, I am getting old so maybe I need to stay at home more.

She said, "No! We need you to be with us. We need the knowledge, spiritual wisdom and encouragement that only you can bring. I want you to plan on coming here for at least another ten years. Thank you so much for all you do, especially since we are emotionally to the terrorists."

I am glad I can help.


If you, dear reader, are able to help the Russians, please add them to your prayer list and to the list of ministries you will support. Perhaps your church will support Lifeways Russia and move toward giving at least 10% of your budget to outreach.


No comments: