Saturday, March 19, 2005

Grace to Set Us Free

About forty or so pastors and leaders of parachurch groups were given a special tour at the Underground Freedom Center last Thursday morning. The staff of the center were wonderful hosts and the experience was priceless.

Despite our very short tour, the deep emotional responses indicate just how deep is the collective feeling about slavery, freedom and our current situation. I hope all of my readers will arrange to take a tour in the near future. (I strongly suggest that you go with a group and that you arrange for a dialogue afterwards.)

As Christian leaders we are responsible to assertively lead a movement of healing. Others may sit passively by but the nature of our position requires us to act on building unity and family solidarity among all God's people. Thus, I organized the tour and am writing this blog as an act of following through on the sense of responsibility.

How do we promote and facilitate the flow of GRACE to cut off the Roots of Bitterness that are still causing many to be defiled? First, allow me to define the difference between Mercy and Grace. Mercy removes the penalty of Justice/Guilt. After speeding my Guilt might demand that I lose my license. A judge of Mercy can remove the judgment and only fine me or let me off all together.

Jesus died to remove the penalty of our Guilt. This is God's mercy. I never ask for Justice but cry out for Mercy. Justice is getting that which we do deserve but Mercy is not getting what we deserve.

Grace is getting more than we deserve. If I appeared before a judge and ask to keep my license and he agreed but went farther and invited me to a big meal that would be both Mercy and Grace. In Hebrews we see that the answer to generational sins and Guilt is Grace. It is normal to be angry and demand Justice for our ancestors who trafficked in humans. Anger is normal but bitterness will be the result of anything less than Grace to the ancestors and to one another.

Eric Ellis read a small portion of John Dawson's book last Thursday. Mr. Dawson has written a great deal about healing national sins and cutting off roots of bitterness. I agree and think this is one way we can face the reality of Sin/Guilt among every historic nationality, race and creed. After facing it we can feel the pain and ask for God's Mercy and Grace for all past and present problems. Some of us have done that kind of praying for 25 years.

But that is not enough. We must also deal with our personal desire for Justice, especially in interracial matters. Pointing fingers at the faults and weaknesses of another racial, creedal or national group is a way to deny the need for our own forgiveness. Anything short of Grace to each other will perpetuate more Roots of Bitterness.

Until I am as concerned about the spiritual, financial, emotional and relational welfare of people of color as I am my Scots-Irish ancestors I am still stuck in a graceless miasma pit. I must admit that I like freckles and red hair but those preferences must not become prejudices.

I hope that those in God's family who prefer the darker hues will have Grace for me and my family with the pale Irish complexion. Our sins are many but God's Grace is sufficient even for the Irish slave holders. (As well as the Vikings, English and American Indians in my past.)

In the future perhaps we need to gather for a Grace Invasion.

No comments: