Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I Keep Learning

Every time I teach a class on family life I learn something new. Many times I will be so emotionally surprised by the insight that I weep over the loss I felt as a kid or the joy I rediscover as I can "see" my parents and grandparents in the eye of my imagination.

Maybe this is why my favorite group to facilitate is on Generational Family Issues. The Bible is filled with generational insights and examples but few western teachers take that part of scripture very seriously. I am always amazed at how issues and topics seem to come back around every generation or so.

I mentioned before that my Great Grandad was deeply touched by the God and left the church where he was baptized to start a new work. He and about 20 others wanted to preach, teach and experience a "deeper life in the Holy Spirit. This was in 1894, the same year they had my had grandmother. In 1969 both my brother and I left churches to go to "better" ones.

How do such things happen? And, how often?

While on the staff at College Hill Presbyterian I was asked to do some research on the history of the congregation for our 150th anniversary. We had just designed and built a new educational wing with the latest in design. It had circular windows that allowed the children to interact with nature and a small patio outside. It was unique and cutting edge. We thought!

However, we were shocked to learn that our new and different building had an unknown history. In 1877 the elders purchased a building next to the sanctuary in which to hold Sunday school. It was called, The Pig's Eye School because of its round windows.

History repeats itself in both good and bad ways.

Do you know how to be set free from fruit of the bad seed?
How can we leave mother and father?

Do you know how to claim the blessings of past good seed?
How do we honor mother and father?

Do you know how to assess the history of your family and Christian organization?

You can learn how at the Group for Leaders.

1 comment:

BGK said...

OK, Dr. Sweeten, how, how?

Soli Deo Gloria,
Anne