Friday, May 13, 2005

Generational Research

Until a few years ago i knew next to nothing about my ancestors and did not see why I should. Now I am of a far different mind set. I am learning more about myself every time I learn about my dad, mom and their parents, aunts and uncles and so on.

Those of you who have living parents need to take a tape recorder and interview them for several hours about their past memories. Ask about the big events, stories, secrets, honors and myths. Also ask how they felt when there was a baby born out of wedlock or an uncle with alcoholism.

Ask about names and titles. Honors, traditions and schooling as well as shameful and illegal activities.

What kinds of changes happened before a marriage or after a death. For example, John Wesley was madly in love with a woman who served as his right hand assistant. She was a wonderful organizer, a good teacher and was able to lead his entire women's ministry. Just before they married, John's brother Charles and others met with his intended bride and talked her out of the marriage and into another marriage.

They rationalized that it was best for John's ministry but it caused enormous grief to John and he met and married a well to do widow a short time later. It was a very unhappy union and they led separated lives for many years.

My grandfather took to his sick bed the day after my younger brother was born and mother was no longer able to care for him. Are these "coincidences" or more than that?

Be a curious detective and, like Sherlock Holmes, ask many good questions and write the answers down.

No comments: