Friday, February 11, 2005

Black History Month

Why do we suppose that there is so much distrust and dissension about African and European Americans living and working together in the United States? Slaves were Emancipated almost 150 years ago but the disparities between Black and White Americans still bothers us. Why can't we all just get along?

I think much of it has to do with our family background. By this I mean the American family. When I first began to read the Bible and encountered the words of God to His people about generational sins and curses I frankly did not want to believe it. I was one of those men who believed the entire Bible from Genesis to maps but preferred to "skip" over some of the more difficult parts.

But God's words about the sins of one generation cascading downward for several more generations is hard to ignore. I know because I tried.

Exodus 20:

1 And God spoke all these words:

2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

3 "You shall have no other gods before me.

4 "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.

5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

6 but showing love to a thousand {generations} of those who love me and keep my commandments.

7 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name.

My own great, great grand parents did not own slaves and, in fact, fought against slavery as far as I can discover. Yet, I am suffering the consequences of this nation's terrible idolatry that placed the mammon of human ownership and greed above God. Why? Because I live in the nation that turned its back on God's word and His ways. All nationalk dysfunctions affect me and my family.

What can we do?
  • Ask God to forgive our nation for the specific deeds.
  • Ask God to set us free from past guilt associated with slavery. (Three to four generations)

NOTE: On this date, in 1793 the Congress of the United States passed the Fugitive Slave Act allowing slave owners to go to free states and retrieve escaped slaves. Many of the freed men and women were killed and all were severely punished. Those who helped the slaves were fined and put in jail.

Ironically, this is the birthday of Abe Lincoln. Can we not see the connection between that and other accursed acts and todays pain?

  • Ask God for the blessings of righteous men and women to flow to our nation. (A thousand generations) Many Christian men and women fought against slavery, abusive laws and torture. Thank God for them and ask for a double portion of their courage and strength.

No comments: