Friday, February 04, 2005

Peace is Possible!

As you know, I am in the business of providing people with principles of peace, not anxiety. Starting with my master's degree I started to wonder about ways to help people feel better. Well, actually, I started that process much younger. My grandfather died at age 60 from clinical depression and I stayed with him daily for seven years before his gloom finally did him in.

How, you might ask, can a man die from depression? He simply gave up. He quit living and went to bed with worry, anxiety and stinking thinking. Grand dad was so negative, pessimistic and hopeless that he simply wanted to hide from life and people. Everyday I head him groan, moan and say , "Oh son, things are bad."

None of us knew he was depressed. I doubt that the term was ever used in my presence. Everybody said that he had rheumatism and it was so painful that he died. Now I know differently. His negative thinking and hopelessness led to physical death a few years after it had killed him emotionally.

And it affected all the rest of us too. All of us lived abnormal lives. I missed most of my childhood trying to make him feel better. My grandmother missed having a mate for the best part of her life because he gave up. His grandchildren never got to play with him or hear him talk about his youth or share his ideas.

He was a brilliant businessman whose mental negativity was a vampire that kept him from enjoying his money, family or friends. He had the first automobile in our town but worry kept him from driving it. It sat on blocks for years until dry rot took it over. He also worried about that.

Now we know how to help people like grand dad Taylor. There is no need for anyone to suffer from depression and die. Help is available. Healing is possible. The power of God to renew the mind is with us.

Do not give up.

No comments: