Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Prayer Brings Peace

One of the things about modern families that concerns me is the great increase in PESSIMISM and ANXIETY among parents. Good parents are so worried about life that they tend to over protect their kids and anxiously hover over them. This is much more dangerous than allowing kids to be free.

During the Black Plague in Europe some 25 million people died. This amounts to about one third of the total population of that continent. No wonder they developed a lot of fears and anxiety that came out in their religious practice. Perhaps the worst prayer ever written came from worried parents and priests.

Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my soul will keep
If I should DIE before I wake
I pray the Lord my soul to take

Is it any wonder that children would have nightmares? We are still teaching this awful poem to our children. I have written a new prayer for parents.

A New Prayer For Sleeping

Now I lay me down to sleep
I thank the Lord my soul will keep
No fear of night, He will provide-
His angels near, my sleeping side
At morning's dawn, I will awake,
To live again for Jesus' sake
He gives me strength, the whole night rest
Enough each day to give my best
(C) Gary Sweeten

Please teach this prayer of faith and peace to your children

No comments: