Saturday, September 10, 2005

911 Memories

It will be four years tomorrow since the Islamic haters attacked our nation by killing several thousand civilians in New York, Pennslyvania and Washington, D. C. I was in Virginia Beach with Richard Kidd at the time preparing to do a seminar about training lay helpers in the church. As we gathered at Regent University the head of counseling called us into his office and showed us the first tower on fire in New York. Later, his secretary came to the seminar room to announce the second tower had also been hit.

I was numb.

It took me several days to get home because all flights were cancelled. I can remember the sound of the very first airplane I heard brought tears to my eyes. The silence had been overwhelming. Delta finally got some flights going and I was able to return to Cincinnati.

Two weeks later, we received a call from the Salvation Army asking us to send some counselors to minister to the first responders. Many fire fighters, police, iron workers, relief workers and others had been working around the clock for two weeks and were beginning to have emotional and spiritual breakdowns and the Army wanted us to be available to provide counsel, prayer, water and comfort to them.

Jerry Kelly, M.D., Steve Griebling, Carla Faison and I were given a free ticket on Delta to Newark and spent a week in personal ministry to people badly in need of hope. Jerry and Steve took the 1:00 P.M. to 1:00 A.M. slot and Carla and I took the 12 Hour night shift. It was spooky about 3:00 A.M. in the morning with 2,000 bodies lying next to us and ministering beside the morgue.

I will post a few of my memories and photos later. For now I suggest you watch the slide show on this link.

http://antiterror911.tripod.com/

No comments: